Tuesday, July 10, 2007

First Anniversary


Today is the first anniversary of the serial train blasts in Mumbai. I was shocked to see train compartments ripped apart due to the blasts when I turned on the TV on the evening of 11th July 2006.

This reminds me of the 1993 bomb blasts in Mumbai. The blasts occurred in March 1993 just as scores of students (including me) were writing the SSC (10th std) exams. I remember we had come out of the exam hall and someone informed us about the blasts. I remember seeing on TV, people literally bathed in blood while helping out in transporting injured victims to the hospital. The geography exam scheduled for the next day was cancelled in Mumbai city and was held later on. Some students writing the SSC exam lost their parents in the blasts. It was the first horrific tragedy I recollect and remember till date.

Coming back to last year’s blasts, TV channels show that many of those victims are yet to lead a normal life as before the blasts. But no matter what happens, be it pouring rain and floods or blasts, Mumbai is still the top destination for thousands of migrants to earn a living or be a film star (yes that’s true).

No comments: